Saturday, February 28, 2009

Roasted Butternut Squash Soup

Views

Since there is still a bit of winter left even though its March, I thought this was the perfect recipe for something warm and flavorful to get you through the cold. For Christmas this past year I received an immersion blender. One of the first things I decided to do was to make butternut squash soup. It was such a simple recipe (from February's Food and Wine) that it is amazing I managed to make a few mistakes. Luckily the flavor was amazing and I was able to salvage it.

The first thing is to buy a 2 lbs butternut sqush. Well I could not find one that was exactly two pounds which was my first mistake. I purchased one that was probably closer to 3-3 1/2 pounds which led to the consistency being a little thick, thick more puree than soup. Thankfully, by added more stock I was able to bring the consistency back to a soup.

To make the soup, you split the squash in half and roast it in a 375 degree oven for about an hour until it is real tender.
Once it is done, peel it and add it to a pot big enough to make the soup in. If you do not have an immersion blender, chop the squash and add it to a blender to puree.
To the squash you add cinnamon, creme fraiche, and water (I used a combination of water and chicken stock). Puree this until very smooth.

When it reaches the desired consistency, ladle into bowls and top with maple syrup glazed bananas and walnuts.

This was a great soup with fantastic winter flavors. The cinnamon added the perfect bit of spice and roasting the squash gave it a deep rich flavor.

No comments:

Post a Comment