Monday, February 16, 2009

Ground Turkey With Zucchini Ribbons and Tomato

Views

So for my first real post about food I decided to show you an easy weeknight dinner I made last week. This is based upon many recipes that used the same combination of ground turkey and zucchini but took much longer, such as stuffing the zucchini with the ground turkey. I like the combination of turkey and zucchini but I wanted something I cook make in no time when I got home from work. This is what I came up with. I will try and give amounts of ingredients but feel free to do as you wish.

1 lb ground turkey
1 can San Marzano diced tomatoes
1 zucchini, shaved or cut into ribbons
garlic powder
onion powder
chili powder or cayenne pepper
salt
pepper
extra virgin olive oil
brown rice, cooked

Get a skillet nice and hot. Add in olive oil. I just go two turns around the pan. Then add the ground turkey.

Once the turkey is added season it with salt and pepper. I also add some garlic powder, onion powder, and chili or cayenne for some kick. Just add however much you like. I like a lot.


As the turkey is browning cut up or julienne the zucchini. I recently received as a gift a set of Swissmar peelers which are amazing (http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/sku7018542/index.cfm?pkey=cctlslcpel). The set includes a peeler which juliennes vegetables. So it was the perfect tool to cut the zucchini into nice ribbons.


Here is the zucchini after it has been added to the browned turkey. Look at how nice the zucchini looks and it only took minutes to do with the peeler.



Cook this until the zucchini is wilted and soft. Then add the diced tomatoes.

Cook this for 10 - 15 minutes. Adjust the seasoning as necessary. I served it over brown rice for a quick healthy weeknight meal.

Here is the final plating:


Let me say that this is one tasty meal that is so simple and easy to make. The turkey and zucchini taste great together and the addition of cayenne or chili powder gives it a nice kick.

1 comment: